For the vast majority of people, gambling is a safe, harmless entertainment and leisure activity, but the RGA’s members want all of their customers to gamble responsibly, to gamble within their means and to be aware of the advice and information available which can prevent irresponsible gambling.
Some simple messages to keep in mind when you gamble online:
- You’re buying fun, not investing your money
- Gambling should be done in moderation and undertaken as a form of leisure
- Before playing, set limits on how much time and money you’re going to spend
- If you need to, use the deposit limit tools to help maintain control
- Avoid chasing losses
- Only gamble with money you can afford to lose
- Keep up other interests and hobbies – don’t let gambling take over your life
- Don’t let gambling affect relationships with family and friends
- Don’t gamble in order to escape from stress or boredom
- If you need a break from gambling make use of the self-exclusion tools provided
The key message is… if you choose to gamble online, always gamble responsibly!
Since 2006, membership of the RGA has been dependent on adhering to high standards relating to social responsibility and age verification. In early 2012, the RGA adopted the CEN Agreement on responsible gambling which sets standards on social responsibility and produces a robust framework that addresses the key issues associated with problem and underage gambling. It provides members of the RGA with a range of measures that will enable operators to help the small minority of their customers that have, or fear developing, a problem and to keep to a minimum the number of children that might access a gambling service.